Strikers
at Hai Van Tunnel building site return to work
(Date:
August 10, 2002. Source:
Vietnam News)
THUA THIEN-HUE
Striking workers at the Hai Van Pass tunnel project resumed work
on Thursday, after a three-day strike was resolved through negotiations
with company management.
Work on
the northern section of the project, which is being undertaken by Japans
Hazama Company and the local Civil Engineering Corporation No. 6 (Cienco
6), was slowed considerably after workers walked off the job, complaining
of dangerous working conditions and reduced pay.
"We
went on strike to protest the contractors decision to increase
our working hours, thus lowering our pay," said a striker, who
declined to be named.
The contractor
recently added a one hour, unpaid break into the workers shifts
in order to move them away from mine blasting areas. As part of an agreement
reached between the joint venture management and the workers union,
the workers will now be paid for the one-hour break.
Striking
workers also complained that they were being required to move further
into the tunnel and were being exposed to increasingly dangerous conditions,
without being provided with proper safety clothing and equipment.
"Work
safety is not good enough when we are working in a tunnel 1.5km underground
and are exposed to the smoke from mining explosives, vehicles and machinery,"
said Nguyen Ba Du, a welder on the construction site.
On Tuesday,
the joint ventures management issued a notice calling for the
69 striking workers to return to the job, saying they would consider
employee demands if they were put forward in writing, through union
representatives.
The strikers
countered that the grass-roots Labour Union organisation had not been
established at the construction site and so workers were compelled to
defend their demands on their own.
After meeting
with the joint ventures management, Pham Van Duoc, a representative
of Thua Thien-Hue Labour Union, said that a grassroots labour union
would soon be set up at the construction site.
A comment
box will also be placed at the construction site in order to collect
workers complaints and requests.
The construction
of the Hai Van Pass tunnel project began in August 2000, and the Cienco
6-Hazama joint venture has so far excavated 1,412m of the proposed 3,850m
main tunnel. The tunnel is part of a crucial stretch of National Highway
No.1A linking Thua Thien Hue Province with Da Nang.
The Hai
Van Pass tunnel project is being funded by a US$251 million investment,
85 per cent of which has come from the Japanese governments official
development assistance (ODA) loans, which are provided through the Japan
Bank for International Co-operation. VNS
Top
This
homepage is presented by the Consultant Team
Any
further question should be forwarded to Webmaster
or Consultant Team